License Level Upgrade


A Regular Licensed social worker in good standing may upgrade his/her license to a higher level after earning a CSWE Master's Degree in Social Work (MSW) and passing a higher level Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) examination. To upgrade, all provisions of the higher level of license must be met - verification of degree, passage of examination, and upgrade fee are required. Specific criteria are indicated in the Professional Manual.


To apply for a License Level Upgrade:

Download, complete, and return the form listed below.

Get Adobe ReaderLicense Upgrade Application (PDF)


Completed applications must be mailed or faxed to the Board office:

WV Board of Social Work
PO Box 5459
Charleston, WV 25361

Fax: (304) 400-4976