We will keep you updated on any changes that impact your license or practice on this web page. We realize this is a period of anxiety and uncertainty for everyone. However, it is also during these periods of turbulence that our profession has shown the resilience, leadership and character necessary to meet those challenges head on and we have every confidence that this crisis will be no different.
Your Health & Safety
You may have concerns regarding your practice as social workers and how to ensure your health and safety while meeting the needs of the wide range of individuals and families you serve. The West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources has established a web site with very valuable information and links on preparation and prevention regarding the virus at https://dhhr.wv.gov/Coronavirus%20Disease-COVID-19/Pages/default.aspx.
Board Office Staff Health & Safety
The Board offices are closed to the public and staff are working remotely from home to process renewals and new applications. If you need to talk to a staff person, please call the office, and leave a message; staff will return your call as soon as possible. Please speak slowly so that we will have the appropriate information to return your call. You may also email Admin@wvsocialworkboard.org if you prefer
Using Technology To Provide Services Remotely
Some clients (or you) may prefer to provide services via telehealth / teletherapy for a period of time. The following are some general considerations you as clinicians will want to consider now:
- Discuss a plan in advance of the need to limit in person contact, including arranging for phone or video sessions. Plan how to stay in touch with your clients and their families during an outbreak or quarantine and ensure your clients are aware of your policies.
- If you do not currently provide services in this manner, check with your payers to verify that they will reimburse for services provided this way.
- Use of HIPPA-compliant technology is a must and special care must be taken to ensure confidentiality is maintained.
- Review your malpractice insurance policy regarding provisions around teletherapy and where it is provided (for example, from your home in the event that you cannot use your office due to any quarantine or containment requirements in your area).
- If your client resides in another state, most states require you be licensed in that state and you should check with the licensing board of that state.
Other resources that may be helpful include:
As WV responds to the COVID-19/coronavirus, we realize that there may be some changes to your practice necessitated by social distancing measures, some of which may impact your license. In accordance with CDC recommendations, many continuing education events have been cancelled which have caused many of our licensees to worry how that will impact their renewals. The Board is allowing individuals to take twenty hours of online coursework to fulfill all the Category I course requirements. This will not impact Category II Hours. We do not intend this to be a permanent waiver, but it will be in effect until at least September 30, 2020 and the Board will reevalate the status of the waiver prior to that time. Please check the online course requirements under the Continuing Education Requirements.
Social Work Exam Registration & Testing
Individuals who are preparing to sit for the social work exam should visit the COVID-19 page on the Association of Social Work Board's web site at https://www.aswb.org/covid-19. We have been notified that Pearson Vue has suspended testing at all locations until April 16 which will impact individuals with temporary permits and provisional licenses that are due to expire in the next few months. Following the Board meeting, on March 24, 2020, we will issue an additional six month permit to those affected to prevent a lapse in permission to practice. Our Board will continue to establish eligibility and authorize individuals for the exam but candidates should check the ASWB's link for the most current information on registration and testing.