Provisional License to Practice as a Social Worker: This is a restricted license certificate granted to an applicant through alternative education requirements as per WV Code 30-30-16 and legislative rule. A provisional social worker is not a licensed social worker and is not eligible to contract, operate a business, enjoin with others in a business, perform fee for service duties, or any other kind of independent social work.
An applicant must have a baccalaureate degree in a field related to social work; related fields include sociology, psychology, counseling, criminal justice or other related fields as determined by the Board.
The Provisional License Compliance Verification Form is due in July of each year from provisional licensees and must be faxed or mailed to the Board of Social Work.
Provisional Licensees who change employers, DHHR county offices, titles, and/or licensing supervisors must file a Change Report for Provisional License Form with the Board.
§30-30-17. Scope of practice for a Provisionally Licensed Social Worker.
A provisionally licensed social worker may perform all of the following functions and social work services under supervision:
- Multi-dimensional assessment of client or client system strengths and problems with functioning or psychosocial adaptation, not including formal mental health diagnosis.
- Service planning and contracting with clients or clients systems to outline proposed interventive strategies for clients or client systems in order to restore or enhance social, psychosocial, or biopsychosocial functioning;
- Implementing service plans and problem solving methodologies to restore or enhance social, psychosocial or biospychosocial functioning of clients or client systems;
- Supportive and palliative counseling activities, designed to offer comfort and social encouragement to clients or client systems, not including psychotherapy;
- Preventive strategies such as psychoeducation and consciousness raising for at-risk systems or populations, designed to forestall difficulties with functioning and psychosocial adaptation;
- Case management activities designed to assist clients or client systems with gaining access to needed resources and services and to assist with coordination of services in situations where multiple providers may be involved with client care;
- Information and referral services; and
- Personal practice assessment designed to assess and document outcomes and effectiveness of one's practice.
To apply for a Provisional License:
Due to recent revisions within the WV Code for social workers, this item must be issued by Board staff upon receipt of a written request. Include the name of the applicant, mailing address, daytime or cell phone number, e-mail address (optional), academic degree major, accredited university name and date of graduation. The written request may be sent by e-mail, fax, or mail to the:
WV Board of Social Work
PO Box 5459
Charleston, WV 25361
Provisional eligibility applications are considered from anyone with a legally-recognized related degree Major who has not previously held a provisional temporary license in the past. For persons that have graduated with a CSWE-accredited Social Work Degree or are currently enrolled in the final semester prior to graduation, request a Temporary Permit application via the same written request method.
We apologize for any inconvenience. We will respond to all requests for applications within fifteen business days.